Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Droppin Everything you know....

I woke up at 5am, got into work at 6:15am....it's Tuesday, so we have to go in early to prepare to grab leads for the weak. Basically, a feeding frenzy but you really have no choice. I hop onto the muni at 5:45am exactly. Half asleep on the train, I know I can't fall completely asleep otherwise my mind will take an additional 20 minutes to wake up (Time I just don't have). So, to avoid sleep I stand up and walk through language scenarios of what objections clients may give to NOT buy from me. Getting out of the subway and feeling the cold air hit me, I zip up and pop my collar while walking fast to the usual Pete's Coffee on 3rd and Mission. Grabbing a Medium cup of coffee and loading it up with sugar, I walk to my building across the street prepared for the days work. Sitting down at my desk and noticing what I left uncovered, I turn on my screen with all my internet tabs open and prepared from the previous late night at the office. It is time....today, not only do I have to grab leads at 7am, but I also must make a presentation to a client at 6:30am. Throw on my headset while taking another fast sip of coffee...my fingers don't hesitate for a second to dial. Hesitating is for weaker sales people, scared of what they can become. The other end picks up and so I begin another day on the grind....

Making 80-100 calls per day and obtaining 3.5 hour talk times that are recorded...well, that's a serious task. I'm not sure there are many that can work to meet those goals daily. I think I've realized something today staring at the score boards for all the other reps out there and wondering why my score was so low. Well, it's not how much time you put in, but how smart you work. Hard work is definitely a plus, but understanding how to get more done faster is the ultimate key. Looking back on this month, I've realized that I wasn't really focused on working towards my number, even though I'm telling myself the number I Want to hit. I realized that this month, I've been focused on getting my style down..including my language, my tone, my thought process and taking the lead on any conversation I had during the day. I realized that in order to do this, you really have to drop every single thing you thought you knew about your sales style and start from scratch. It really didn't mater that I had 4 years of sales already. It really didn't matter that this 23-24 year old who's worked in this position longer than I had was giving me criticism and feedback. I took everything I knew from my past experience, and threw it out, because it was just a waste of space. Then I took everything I could gain (and still gaining at that) and saved that instead. It seems like my quota, my target, my revenue numbers just don't matter deep inside, but moreso perfecting my art of conversation faster than I've ever done. The faster I can perfect it, the faster I can bring home consistent results...

Now, of course, I stress the fuck out knowing that I have a number to obtain...but shit, ain't that just life in general? Might as well just make the best of it so you can get to that number faster.


No comments:

Post a Comment