Wednesday, June 16, 2010

83 Proof


I have to give props to what's become one of my favorite bars in SF - http://www.yelp.com/biz/83-proof-san-francisco




Since I am forbidden to write reviews on Yelp (Yelp Sales Staff have strict rules on this...) I still feel compelled to tell the world that this place is where creativity is found in complex drinks.

Mark, I cannot express the gratitude that I have for you helping me understand good spirits. Tonight, we explored the 19th Potrero. Amazing. Creating a manhattan out of this base was perfect. Maraschino cherries to garnish was a great compliment to this refreshing, almost "Uptown" style manhattan.

Next, I asked mark to create a real rooty drink. Something with a very bitter undertone, reminiscent of Chinese herbal type of liquer. So, what did he make? He introduced me to Cynar
Mixed that with a little sweet vermouth, bitters, and Aperol. WOAH...was that super on point.
I was surprised to find out how many people just didn't understand that these drinks could be made. 3 people immediate glanced at my drink to ask me, "what the hell is that?" I responded, "Yah know, you just have to tell him how you're feeling, and he'll make you something that's best suited for you....this one is a secret drink to my pallet"

Giving a good wink and having people curious is what I love about the culture of old fashioned recipes. I mean, these drinks have been formulated from 100's of years ago. Dating back to early 1900's. Even late 1800's when strong "Bronx" type of drinks were created in New York.
I almost feeling like screaming on the top of San Francisco's highest peak, "There are better drinks in this world people!"


No comments:

Post a Comment